- Use properly maintained equipment. Have bindings inspected and correctly adjusted by a certified technician. Equipment may be rented from our rental shop.
- Wear a properly fitted helmet. To learn more about helmets visit: http://www.lidsonkids.org/
- Dress in water and wind resistant outerwear and layers to accommodate
- Use sunscreen and wear goggles or sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Giants Ridge strongly discourages the use of electronic devices including cell phones, personal entertainment and communication devices, and any other electronic equipment that utilizes head/ear phones while skiing and snowboarding, or loading and unloading lifts.
- Know your physical limits. Sign up for a lesson. Even experienced level skiers can benefit from a professional lesson.
Giants Ridge welcomes guest using the following snow sports equipment:
• Alpine Skis – must have metal edges and working bindings with brakes
• Telemark Skis – must have metal edges and a brake system or retention
• Snowboards must have metal edges and working bindings.
• Snowblades – must have metal edges and retention device
• Mono Skis – must have metal edges and working brake system or retention
• Snowskates / Decks – must have a retention device that is to be attached to
the user at all times. Must be secured on lift and not dangling down below
• Snow bikes – must have metal edges and retention device that is attached to
the user at all times. Bikes must be store bought and have no more than 2
skis. Homemade conversions are not allowed. Uphill transportation for snow
bikes is limited to the Sarajevo lift. Bike are not allowed in the Terrain Parks.
• Snow Shoes – on designated trails only
• Nordic Skiing – on designated trails only
• Snow tubing – in designated areas only
The following are NOT allowed on our slopes:
• Sleds, toboggans, discs, snow scooters, snow trikes, uphill traffic on alpine
• Babies are NOT allowed in Bjorns, baby carriers or backpacks on the slopes
or lifts. (Policy link inserted here)
• Service Animals are NOT allowed on the chairlifts, alpine slopes or tubing
lanes (policy link inserted here)
Skiers and riders should be advised that a green circle, blue square, or black diamond trail at Giants Ridge is not necessarily the same as a green circle, blue square or black diamond trail at other resorts. The system is a relative rating of trails at each resort and does not compare trail difficulty between resorts.
To ensure a safe trip down the mountain, beginners should start easy and work your way up.
Beginner Giants Ridge Itinerary:
1. Start in the beginner area near the main chalet, start on the magic carpet (Greely’s Way) once you have mastered your ability to turn and stop, you can advance to the steeper terrain on the beginner tow (St. Moritz).
2. After gaining proficiency with turning and stopping then you are ready to go up the lift.
3. The first trail you should try is Melbourne (green circle). Once you have gained proficiency and confidence, you can progress on to other green trails.
4. After conquering all the greens, and are ready to take it up a notch, head over to Sarajevo (blue square)
- Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
- Remove poles from wrists and hold in one hand.
- Remove backpacks. Place on lap or on seat.
- Remove back foot from snowboard binding.
- After the chair in front passes, move to the “Load Here” line.
- Look back and grab the part of the chair that is easiest to you
- Sit down and sit back. Your back should be against back of the chair.
- If a restrain bar is available, lower the bar when it is safe to do so.
- Remain seated and face forward.
- No horseplay and never jump on lift.
- Check for loose clothing & equipment to make sure it will not get caught.
- If restrained bar is lowered, raise the bar.
- Keep your ski tips or front of your snowboard tipped up and straight ahead.
- Stand up at the “Unload Here” line and move away from the unload area.
- If you fall, move out of the way if possible or wait for assistance.
- If you ride the chair past the unload area, wait for assistance. DO NOT JUMP!
Giants Ridge provides a team of trained Ski Patrollers to provide first aid, assess mountain safety, post warnings and close trails.
- Ski Patrollers are on duty when the chair lifts are operating.
- To summons a Ski Patroller, let any employee know or call the Patrol Room at 218.865.8019.
- The Patrol First Aid Room is located in the South Chalet .
During the course of regular operations, Giants Ridge may find it necessary to close sections of the mountain for the safety of our guests. Closures are often marked with rope, ribbon or fencing in conjunction with a CLOSED sign, though any marked boundary must not be crossed whether or not a closure sign is in place. Crossing a closure boundary endangers yourself, others and may result in loss of lift privileges.
Wooded areas between named trails and glades are not marked in any way, are not patrolled, and have no skier/snowboarder services. If you decide to ski or snowboard in wooded areas, within the ski area boundary, you are solely responsible for yourself. You should be an expert skier/snowboarder and you should stay in groups of three or more.